Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Baby Girl's Birth Story

So I blogged the day before Sienna was born (Monday, September 30) about how I was getting frustrated with being pregnant. On Monday, I had a pretty good attitude about still being pregnant after reading a devotion and staying busy getting things accomplished. I hit up the grocery stores with Brecken, stocking up on food and having a list of freezer meals I could make up that week, and working ahead on a work project. However, once night hit, I started feeling really crummy. My stomach hurt and I was getting contractions every once in a while, just like I had been getting all weekend. It felt like there was no room in there anymore for baby, and my pregnancy hormones kind of took over and I had a little meltdown about not wanting to be pregnant anymore.

I got a pretty good night sleep and woke up Tuesday morning on my due date, October 1, around 7 am. I was supposed to go to MOPS that morning and it was the first craft of the year that I was supposed to lead. I had delegated it to a few other ladies to lead the craft just in case I was not there. This is the only time in the last two years of going to my moms group that I was not looking forward to going since it was my due date. I thought that it would just be another normal day of being uncomfortably pregnant. Well, I was wrong! 

I woke up that morning feeling so gross. At first I thought it was my stomach again like the night before, but then I soon realized that I was getting contractions. They started getting stronger and more frequent. Todd decided to stay home from work until he was sure I was feeling better, just in case. By 7:45/8:00 am they were getting more intense and I figured I should try to finish packing the last minute things on my list to take to the hospital. I packed and got ready between stopping and breathing through contractions that were getting more intense. I never timed them, I just know that they were coming every 1 - 2 minutes and lasting for about 30 seconds. Todd's brother and mom came over to take care of Brecken and we left for the hospital.

(This was taken as we drove to the hospital - in between contractions) 

The contractions were pretty intense in the car, but in between contractions I was totally fine, talking and laughing. We got to the hospital around 8:45/9:00 am. Todd dropped me off after I had a contraction and I tried to book it up to the 3rd floor to labor and delivery. I only got to the elevators before I had another contraction and as I was breathing through it, people in the elevator asked if I was ok. I just told them I was in labor, that's why I was there. I probably was a bit of a sight!

I got to the check-in desk and told them I was in labor. They had a hard time finding my name in the computer. After asking my name and birthdate several times, they couldn't find it but finally put me in a room to be checking on my progress before admitting me. After asking my name a few more times and me getting more frustrated, we realized they were spelling my name wrong although I told them "Autumn, like the season." The midwife came to check on me and told me I was dilated to an 8. Woohoo! The contractions were getting really intense at this point. I was going to jump in a wheelchair to go to the room but I was having such a bad contraction, they decided to just wheel me to the room in the hospital bed.


Once I got to the room, I had 5 - 6 very intense contractions. They were trying to get me to get an IV but once I finally agreed to it, I felt my water break. After that, I starting pushing. After 5 - 6 pushes, sweet Sienna Reese was born at 9:44 am - 7 pounds, 10 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long. We were immediately in love with her precious little face. It all happened so fast that I sometimes still wonder if it all happened. All that worrying for months - and it was over before I knew it. She was completely healthy although I had Gestational Diabetes during the pregnancy.  And I have been enjoying all the carbs and sugar that my heart desires but have to just check on my numbers in a few weeks.




















We loved the name Sienna and will call her SiSi for short (like Cici - we aren't sure on spelling yet for her nickname). Her middle name Reese is in honor of both of her grandmas - Doriece (my mom) and Teresa (Todd's mom) who both have the name "Reese" in their names. Plus it was a bonus that we really liked the name as well.




Sienna had many visitors in the hospital but the person that came the farthest was my sister who lives in Arizona. Once she found out that the baby was born, she found a flight and jumped on the plane that afternoon, completely surprising me that night. It was so sweet of her to come to see me and to get to meet her niece. 



Sometimes it feels like the past two weeks were a dream and completely surreal. We are adjusting pretty well to having two little ones. Sienna sleeps pretty well at night - I think better than Brecken did so I think that helps not feeling super exhausted like last time. The recovery with this one was alot faster as well. I credit going to the chiropractor once a week with a quick labor and recovery.

 We are just so blessed to have this precious babe in our life.  We just can't get enough of her!

1 comment: