Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Ikea Dresser Makeover

I had this little space between my front door and wall that was crying out for a small table of sorts. I wanted something that would not only look nice, but would serve as storage. I started looking for something that would fit in the spot and I found this RAST from Ikea. It's dimensions fit exactly in the spot, it was cheap ($34.99) and made from pine instead of the usual laminate-type material so it could be easily painted.

I put the piece of furniture together, then got some paint. Originally I was going to get a little sample from Lowes or Home Depot, but while I was at Hobby Lobby, found some little bottles of acrylic paint I liked. I bought several then went to work painting. I did a few coats and then ran out of paint but the dresser looked streaky and needed more coverage. So I did what I should have done in the first place; I picked up some Mozart by Behr in a small sample size. Since I already had some coats of blue, three coats covered beautifully. I even did a pop of green on the sides of the drawers to make it more fun.


I picked up some new knobs for half off at Hobby Lobby to make the dresser look more sophisticated.

And here is the after. I LOVE the beautiful shade of blue and how it turned out. A few months ago, I found a beautiful side table at Target that was this vibrant shade of blue. $79 was a bit to much to spend when I didn't have a place to put it... but I knew I could paint something in that shade of blue!



Art work made by a friend 


This dresser is not only pretty, but practical and the perfect place to store dog treats and toys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment