Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Failed Test

I went in for the routine glucose test today to check to see if I have gestational diabetes. I was confident - too confident. I wasn't even worried about this test, my mind was worried about the dentist appointment later this week. Last pregnancy, I failed the first test (from what I thought was eating Frosted Flakes that morning) but passed the second test.

This morning was a bit different. I didn't eat anything because I didn't want any problems. I drank the sugar drink, waited an hour, then had my blood drawn. She took a quick check of my blood and said it was really high, that I wouldn't event need the 3-hour test but there was a chance the other blood work would come back differently and to talk to my doctor.

I decided to get myself a CinnaBun before my other appointments. Probably stupid, but I thought that I didn't officially know I had diabetes yet, so I might as well have one last splurge for a while. And let me tell you, it was good.

Next, I had an ultrasound because they were concerned at my 20 week appointment that my placenta was too low. At least this had corrected itself. And I got to see Sweet Pea again and I was able to see a 3d image of her. I have never had a 3d ultrasound done before, so this was the highlight of my day. Her little face was so precious, although she kept covering her face. She looked so much like Brecken.

 
Sweet Pea - She is partially covering her face 
Brecken as a newborn... see he resemblance? 

Next, I had my appointment with the midwife and that is where I found out that yes, indeed I have Gestational Diabetes. My levels were so high, I didn't even need the second test. I didn't even eat anything this morning so this level was crazy high. The ultrasound also showed that Sweet Pea is in the 91th percentile for weight. Blindsided is the word I have used today to describe my shock. The risk factors don't really apply to me and I don't know any family members with diabetes, but they said it was something to do with my genetics and isn't something that I did wrong. At least that makes me feel a bit better that it wasn't something I did that caused it, it just is what it is.

I am now worried about so many things. The diet really scares me. They told me a little bit of what I need to stay away from or limit - sweets (what I crave ALL the time!), cereal, anything processed, fruit, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, milk, carbs - breads, ect. Umm... so what do I eat? Vegetables and protein. Well this will be a fun two months. I have an appointment on Thursday with a dietician and to get trained how to check and monitor my blood sugar. Once I know all the details, then I can make a plan and stick to it, just right now I have no idea what is a danger and what isn't. They won't know if I need to go on medication/insulin until I have been monitoring my levels.

Another thing that scares me is the labor and health of the baby. If I have to go on medicine or baby gets too big, I will have to be induced. C-section was brought up today as well. This makes wanting to try another natural birth difficult. With the diabetes present in the mom, babies can get alot bigger, especially growing more in their shoulders and chest making labor more difficult. Depending on how my body responds to the new diet, there will be more ultrasounds to see how she is growing. Babies

can have other health risks and complications with the mother having diabetes. It is all just so scary and my head is spinning with the what-ifs.

 God had the timing down of this news, because tonight I had a prayer shower with some of the ladies I work with at the preschool. I shared my concerns and they lifted me up in prayer. They were such a blessing and I felt peace as they were lifting me and the baby up in prayer.

So, this is not exactly how I had planned my day to go but things don't always go as planned. The next couple months holds many unknowns but HE knows.

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still" 
Exodus 14:14


No comments:

Post a Comment