Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

Becoming a Runner... What?

So, I mentioned in a previous post that my hubby signed me up for this thing called the Warrior Dash. I also talked about how I HATED running and how I was training for this race. I thought I would do an update on my progress.


So when I started training in July, I started with the Couch to 5k program I had found off of pinterest. Every week I worked out three times.This is great because the first week was pretty easy. I jogged for 60 seconds, then walked for 90 seconds and did this cycle for 20 minutes. Every week you increase the amount of running and decrease the amount of walking so that you build up to running the full 3.1 miles for the 5k. Each week seemed a challenge at the time, but now I could so easily run what seemed so hard weeks ago.

Wednesday, I ran the full 5k length for the first time and today I did it again. It was hard and at times I wanted to stop, but I didn't. This was such a huge accomplishment for me because the thought of running used to TERRIFY me. I would shutter when people would tell me about races they were doing, shutter at the thought if I ever had to do that. I remember dreading the first day of ninth grade volleyball practice because of we would have to run a mile.
For me: Running = Torture.

Deciding to try running has been a huge accomplishment in my eyes because I took something that I thought I couldn't do it and gave it a try. It's not so bad and I feel great after I run 5k on the treadmill. If I can become a runner, then anyone can. I am feeling confident about this Warrior Dash... or maybe not... Everytime I watch this video I have mixed feelings. I guess we will know in a week.


No comments:

Post a Comment